Fritz Mardel Bactershield || Fritz Aquatics
Disease Control & Treatment
Great for Preventative Treatments
Safe for Plants and Invertebrates
Safe for Fresh and Saltwater Systems
Bactershield® is a revolutionary new way to help maintain fish optimum health. This bio-adhesive supplement repairs and strengthens the fish’s natural slime coat which protects against bacterial and fungal infections. Proven, natural oils and extracts are combined with a patented film-forming matrix to help repair and strengthen a fish’s natural slime coat and help provide a protective shield around your fish. A fish’s slime coat acts as the first line of defence for fish against bacterial and fungal infections. Use Bactershield® as a preventative treatment after stressful events or for mild cases of common bacterial and fungal diseases such as fin and tail rot, popeye, body, mouth, or eye fungus, or gill disease.
Active Ingredients: Chitosan, Cinnamon Oil, D-Limonene, Geranium Oil, Pine Oil, Rosemary Oil
Directions & Dosage
Shake well before dosing. Add 4 drops per gallon or 5 ml (1 tsp) per 25 gallons of water to be treated.
For reef tanks and aquariums with invertebrates, the dosage should be adjusted to two daily half treatments of two drops per gallon or 5 ml (1 tsp) per 50 gallons 12 hours apart. Treat every other day for a total of 6 treatments (2 treatments per day).
Day 1: Add 4 drops per gallon
Day 2: No medication or water changes are needed
Day 3: Add 4 drops per gallon
Day 4: No medication or water changes are needed
Day 5: Add 4 drops per gallon
Day 6: Perform a 25% water change if desired. Repeat this five-day treatment if symptoms improve, but have not completely disappeared. If no improvement has occurred, try our Maracyn® and/or Maracyn® Two treatments.
- For best results, increase water temperature above 80 degrees F
- Remove carbon during treatment, maintain adequate water flow or aeration
- Bactershield® may cause excessive foam production in protein skimmers or tanks with airstones. Stop the use of a skimmer during treatment if excessive foaming is a concern.
- UV Sterilizer can be used during treatment
- Always complete a full course of treatment, even if symptoms improve or disappear before the fifth dose
- No contraindications: can be used with all of our other products and meds
- Safe for use with invertebrates, see special note below
- Safe for use with plants
- Do not perform water changes during the course of treatment. Bactershield® may inhibit nitrifying bacteria. If ammonia or nitrite is a concern, detoxify during treatment with Fritz A.C.C.R. or Fritz Complete
- Overdosed? Perform a large water change if distress is observed
Special note on Bactershield®: During use, some sessile invertebrates will retract for the first several hours. This condition will be temporary and may last for up to 24 hours. Tested on Stone Polyp, Brain Favites, Mushroom (Rhodactis), Ricordea sp., Favia Fragum, Plate Coral sp., Tubastraea sp., Knobby Leather sp., Acropora sp., Finger Coral (Porites) coral species. All corals and polyps may not react the same way as the test species.
Note: FOR AQUARIUM USE ONLY. Consult a veterinarian or fish expert for assistance in the diagnosis of disease-causing organisms and treatment options.